Sunday, April 15, 2012
Deviance
This week in class we talked about deviance. We realized that deviance is all based off of time and place, and certain things may seem ordinary to us, but not to someone from a different culture. We looked at a list of things that may or may not be "normal" to us now. Things like, having a tattoo or women working in a factory or construction is not considered weird to us. However, when my parents were growing up, it was seen as not normal. Different times show different results. I was as a basketball game with my team and our parents were talking about all of the guys who had tattoos on the team, and how we better not be getting any. It was weird to see our reactions because getting a tattoo now, isn't a huge deal. We explained that to them, and how a tattoo wasn't exactly what it use to be. It doesn't symbolize anything bad. It is just another way to express yourself.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree completely with your examples since it portrays the time aspect perfectly. After all it really does all depend what the majority thinks.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you. When I see people with tattoos today it doesn't really mean anything to me other than self expression.
ReplyDelete~Liv
It's weird how we are all one culture, but different families can have completely different views on deviance.
ReplyDeleteI wonder how that tattoo conversation ended up finishing? :-) I have a suspicion that you didn't win your parents over.
ReplyDelete