Monday, March 5, 2012

American Values

In class we talked about the different values that Americans live by. We read an article that explains these values and it said, "Most Americans would have a difficult time telling you, specifically, what the values are which Americans live by" (Kohls 24). That was proven during the refugee speaker assembly. The speaker was asked what American values did she notice after working with the refugees, and she had a tough time answering. It is tough for anyone to answer that because we all are looking at our culture though the actual lens of our culture. Only outsiders, looking in, could really see our true values. One of the values that I noticed after reading the article was Future Orientation. Americans spend a lot of time hoping for a better future, instead of experiencing the happiness in the present. I have noticed this a lot when I hear kids saying that they can't wait until high school is over and they can go to college, and can't wait to get out of college to get a job and so on. These kids aren't experiencing the present and getting the most they can out of school and life at the time. I am guilty of this as well. My parents always tell me to slow down and stop worrying too much about the future, because when I get older, I will wish I was back in high school enjoying myself a little more.

2 comments:

  1. After reading your post, i realized how important it is to enjoy the presence and not worry about the future. I like to live by the motto "live everyday like its your last," because you never know what tomorrow could bring. I wish I attended the assembly because it would have been interesting to listen to a speaker on the refugees. Your future is important to think about, but its not all that we should be worrying about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After coming across the point that Americans are often preoccupied by the future, I realized that like you, I was also a perpetrator of being to worried about what the future has in store. Perhaps, I will try out your parent's advice and see if it does in fact have a positive effect. Great Post!

    ReplyDelete